Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Favorite Quote: Tell me a story

Make me laugh. Make me cry. Tell me my place in the world. Lift me out of my skin and place me in another. Show me places I have never visited and carry me to the ends of time and space. Give my demons names and help me to confront them. Demonstrate for me possibilities I've never thought of and present me with heroes who will give me courage and hope. Ease my sorrows and increase my joy. Teach me compassion. Entertain and enchant and enlighten me.
Tell me a story.
- Dennis O'Neil

When I was an undergrad writing major one of my professors at Pitt, Peter Leo, shared the above quote with our class. To this day it remains one of my favorite quotes. While its purpose was intended for the writers who pass it each day walking in and out of the Marvel headquarters where Dennis O'Neil was a writer, I think its application is especially potent for teachers as well.

It is something I try to keep in mind on the (few) days I lecture in world history. The story of our class is the story of our species, our humanity - or at least a piece of it. I think Mr. O'Neil hit the nail on the head when he describes the purpose of that story.

* Edited 4:44pm: Added Peter Leo's name as my professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment